Verified on

Everything You Need to Know About Noise Laws

Construction, trash collection, vehicle loading and noise for nightclubs are all carefully regulated by the LAPD, who you can call to report a violation.

The Los Angeles Police Department has a special team dedicated to [‘noise enforcement’ in the city. There are different times of the day when certain noise is allowed and the law differentiates between noise caused by neighbors nightclubs, vehicle loading, garbage collection, and construction. If you're dealing with one of these things and it's making you desperately want to move, check to see if the kind of noise, amount of noise and time of day is prohibited in LA. Read on if you want to know how to find that out, and what you can do to get the noise to stop.

What's allowed?

In Los Angeles, construction noise is allowed Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 9 p.m. It's never allowed on Sundays except if it is being done by a resident, and it's never allowed between 8 a.m. in the morning and 6 p.m. in the evening on Saturdays or national holidays

Getting bothered by garbage men? Trash collection noises are allowed only between 6 a.m. and 9 a.m if the bin is within 200 feet of you but if the bin is any farther away it can be done at anytime.

Vehicle loading or unloading is allowed between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. if it's happening within 200 feet of you. If the loading or unloading is happening farther than 200 feet away, it can happen at any time

Here's the one you're really worried about: noise from nightclubs. According to LA law, any noise at all that exceeds "the regular amount of noise coming from a nearby property that isn’t a nightclub" by more than five decibels is a violation

The law also varies depending on how dense your neighborhood is and how close the noise is to a bedroom in your home.

What can you do

The police department’s website has a FAQ section addressing nuisance-related topics. If your neighbors are being loud, they state that noise complaints are handled by your local police department and recommend calling the police’s non-emergency number: (877) ASK-LAPD (275-5273).

If the noise is coming from your neighbor’s pet, you may want to contact Animal Care and Control. Never call 911 for a noise complaint unless you believe someone is in danger.

Did you find this to be helpful?

Can’t find your question?

Have a specific question that's not answered in one of our Learn articles? Submit it here and we might be able to create a new article.