People sublet rooms or apartments when they want help covering rent or are making a change in their life, such as switching jobs, cities or relationships. It's possible to sublet for the remaining months of the lease if you are leaving for good, or for part of the lease while you're gone.
This guide will tell you everything you need to know about subletting:
- Find out about the laws for subletting in your state
- Screen your subtenant carefully
- Prepare and sign a sublet agreement
- Prepare the documents you'll need for landlord approval
- Get a security deposit
Why do people sublet?
Sublets are the easiest and fastest way to get your rent covered while you live somewhere else. Sublets also give you the freedom to come back to the apartment if you want to, which can be an important pro if things are up-in-the-air for you.
There are two main reasons that make people want to sublet. Either they've got extra space that they want to rent out to a subtenant or they are making some sort of change in their lives that compels them to move.
Renting out a room
If you have an extra room in your home or apartment where you are the primary leaseholder and you don't want to add a new person to your lease then you can sublet to a roommate. In this scenario, since you’ll be living with your subtenant, you should sign both a sublet agreement and a roommate agreement that formalizes guidelines for how you will treat and behave in your shared home.
Making a change
If you are filling a room or an entire apartment during a trip, a temporary relocation, or because you want to live somewhere else then you should also sublet. A few of the most common reasons that people choose to sublet are:
- Going traveling for a long or flexible period of time
- Got a new job or a temporary gig in another city or neighborhood
- Doing home renovations
- Starting a new degree program
- Moving in with a significant other
- Breaking up with a significant other
- Making a career move that drastically changes their income
Flip was built to make subletting easy, fast and cheap. Start a sublet to see what it's all about, or dig into detailed subletting laws and tips below.
Ask us anything! We want your subletting experience with Flip to be incredible. We promise to write back an answer as soon as we can.